Morbi et tellus imperdiet, aliquam nulla sed, dapibus erat. Aenean dapibus sem non purus venenatis vulputate. Donec accumsan eleifend blandit. Nullam auctor ligula

Get In Touch

Quick Email
info.help@gmail.com
[This article belongs to Volume - 26, Issue - 02]

Behavioral Problems among Children with Speech Difficulties

Behavioral problems can present differently for many children with speech difficulties, some common ones outbursts or tantrums, unwillingness to follow directions, being angry or irritable, purposefully annoying others and physical aggression toward others, such as hitting, kicking, or scratching, some children may show one of these behaviors, while other children may have many. To assess sociodemographic characteristics, behavioral problems and speech difficulties among children with speech difficulties. A descriptive cross-sectional study design was carried out in Baghdad Teaching Hospital. A non- probability (purposive) study sample of (300) child, who attended Hearing and Speech Center. The data were analyzed using descriptive and inferential statistical procedure for data analysis. The study results reveal that (41.7%) of children with age group 6-less than 8 years (73%) of them were males and remaining (27%) were females, second born among (41%) of them while (28.7%) of them were not registered and (36.7%) of children having stuttering; speech sound disorders were prevalent among (39.7%); childhood apraxia of speech prevalent among (19.7%). The children experience mild behavioral problems regarding somatic complaints, thought problems, and rule-breaking behaviors, and experience moderate behavioral problems regarding anxious/depressed problems, withdrawal, social problems, and aggressive behavior, while experiencing severe behavioral problems regarding attention and hyperactivity. The child with speech difficulties to be seen by a speech language pathologist (SLP) to assess the child to obtain a clear idea of the child’s strengths and weaknesses in speech and language.